Enhancing visibility, creating strong voices and empowering individuals and communities to work in support of Utah’s LGBTQ and questioning population, their families and friends.
The Queer Action Project is the organizing arm of the Utah Pride Center. Through grassroots actions, issue dialogue/education, and media monitoring/visibility QAP works to bring LGBTQ people and our issues to light so that strong and decisive actions will be taken to bring LGBTQ people out of the margins to full equality.
- NEW: Utah Pride Marriage Equality Campaign – a six-seven month campaign to elevate Utah voices as Proposition 8 and DOMA are brought before the U.S. Supreme Court in early 2013. VFE recognizes that achieving marriage equality is both a step and a tool on the road to reducing homophobia.
- NEW: Getting Centered Campaign – Utah Pride is deeply invested in the Utah community. It has been a vision for many years to create a new and very visible home, an icon of sorts, to represent to Utah and beyond the bravery and decades of work to support and advocate for LGBTQ people and their families in, what for some is considered the most conservative state in the United States.
- Keeping Kids Safe Campaign – A multi-year project focused on creating policy change to provide greater safety for LGBTQ youth within Utah’s youth serving agencies at creating safe spaces for youth in out-of-home care.
- Creating TransAction Campaign – A multi-year campaign aimed at supporting, lifting up and empowering Utah’s Transgender youth population. These youth are helped to develop a positive sense of self and empowerment.
- Out of the Smoke Campaign – a multi-year campaign to educate Utah’s LGBTQ youth about tobacco addiction and the health hazards of tobacco use.
- Family Preservation Campaign – a multi-year effort providing resources and support for Utah parents and families who have LGBTQ youth. This work includes but is not limited to close collaboration with multiple Utah chapters of the Parents, Friends and Families of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG).
- Zero Bully Campaign – Utah Pride provides a support line for students, faculty, friends and family to report incidences of bullying, harassment and violence. Utah Pride then coordinates with appropriate local resources, the ACLU, and school administration as needed. Elements of this campaign are interwoven with Utah Pride’s ongoing work to support and empower Utah Gay Straight Alliances across the state.